Cleaning makeup brushes has to be one of the most mundane tasks I can think of but I ensure I clean mine once a week. Makeup brushes harbour bacteria and every time you use that brush you are simply spreading that bacteria over your face, gross eh?! Some of my friends have confessed to me that they rarely or never clean their makeup brushes, I soon put them straight on how important it is! Hygiene factor aside I also find my makeup applies much better with a clean brush & I always get the best finish with them.
Here's how I can deep clean my makeup brushes...
1. I use a baby shampoo to clean my brushes, I bought this huge bottle in Poundland. You can use normal shampoo or hand soap if you don't have any to hand.
2. I squeeze a small amount of shampoo into my hand and swirl the brush around, I add a small amount of water and completely saturate the brush in shampoo.
3. I hold the brush under a warm running tap until the water runs clear. It's important to use running water for this step as there's no point in cleaning your brushes in a pool of cloudy dirty water.
4. I squeeze all water out from the brush & reshape it.
5. To dry the brushes I roll a towel up into a sausage shape and ensure the brushes are pointing downwards, this is important as you don't want water getting into the handle. I dry my brushes underneath a radiator and turn them halfway to ensure the brush dries evenly.
I hope you found this post helpful, I'd love to know how often you clean your brushes & if you use a particular technique you think may be handy.